Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Looking Glass Wars, by Frank Beddor

Loved this book. I would say go BUY THIS BOOK. READ THIS BOOK. It was fantastic! Well told! Very fun and imaginative! I'm thrilled to note that it is the first part of a trilogy, the second being titled, Seeing Redd, and due out sometime in the can't-be-too-soon future!

This is a twist on the classic Alice in Wonderland tale. In Beddor's version, Princess Alyss escapes from Wonderland being chased out by her evil aunt, Redd. Alyss escapes through a puddle into England where, as circumstances play out, she meets up with Lewis Carroll to whom she shares her tale of woe. However, to her horror, she discovers that Carroll twisted the story into something untrue. Unable to make anyone believe that she really is a princess, Alyss decides she has to live "a normal life" as best as she can under the circumstances. That is until Wonderland creeps in to England and takes her back with it where she battles to regain the Queendome.

I loved this book! Loved it! Loved it! A pity that the release of book two isn't set until October, 2007. GAA!

This month's book challenge: 5 down, 5 to go!

6 comments:

Kevin Stilley said...

It sounds like you thought the book was okay. ;) Thanks for the review. I am headed over to Amazon to buy a copy now. Do you think it would be to much for my five-year old if I read it to her?

Unknown said...

Yes, you're straddling the fence as usual, LOL. Sounds like something I will have to check out.

I hope that you have some short books so that you can get them finished in fewer than 2 weeks. . . .

Carrie said...

Hey Kevin,

I think it might be a BIT much for a 5 year old. Redd is a bit violent (but I didn't think overly so) but I probably wouldn't personally recommend it to any kid under the age of 12 or 13. It's not TOO much but I'd hesitate for anyone really young. I think YOU will have a BLAST with it though!

Jennifer, I'm hurrying through Amusing Ourselves to Death as it is fairly short (but makes my head hurt) and am trying to find something else short on my bookshelves to read. Crossing fingers and awaiting next week's book sale where I fully intend to overload my bookshelves (which are already suffering double bookings).

Kevin Stilley said...

Thanks. Now I just have to wait for the postman to deliver it.

Laura said...

Good review, Carrie! I think I may have to get this for my 16-yr-old daughter - Sounds like something she'd love. (And I think I might enjoy it, too.)

Kevin Stilley said...

Hi Carrie, thanks again for the recommendation. I have now posted my review.

Top  blogs