Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

In This Mountain, by Jan Karon

I just finished reading In This Mountain, book #7 in the Mitford series. This series is the epitome of comfort reading. I read the first six books when I was pregnant and didn't really want to think. I just wanted to exist (in some other story, mostly). My husband and I are also professional photographers and this is our busy wedding season. Hence, I wanted something to read that I could just get lost in and not think about. Hail Mitford! I'm-a-comin'. (This may be the month of comedy/pleasure reading -- we'll see!)

A year after I first began the Mitford series, I have to say that I'm not particularly fond of Karon's writing style. I can't put my finger on it (maybe you can) but it doesn't seem top notch. I say that as a non-writer who has poor grammar herself at times! I know that Karon is using "backwoods" speech to express and describe her characters so most of it is forgivable but it does seem a stretch now and again. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the story.

This time we find Father Tim in the throes of depression. Now, I should interject that Mitford is so believable in my mind that when my husband comes home from work I frequently want to fill him in on the latest details. ("Cynthia left for a book tour and Hope is in love with George Gaylor! Can you believe it!?!?!") Now how real is that?! My imagination must be working over time. I honestly became really concerned with Father Tim's condition, even though I knew he'd pull out of it. When we came to the crux of the message of the book, which was that we are to give thanks in all situations -- even the bad ones that come along in life -- I felt the message hit home to me, personally. What applied to Father Tim must surely apply to me. (Which is a truth although it wasn't AS applicable as if Father Tim were real. Which, btw, I'm sure that he is.)

I love Mitford. It may be light reading but I like it. I can imagine it into reality (so I hope they don't ever try to make a movie out of it) and it becomes a part of me when I need to kick back and relax. I need a porch of my own to sit on at night and just.....relax!

3 comments:

Sky said...

I didn't realize that the series was still going, I might have to pick up the last couple of books. Thanks for your thoughts, they were enjoyable as always!

Literary Feline said...

I have only read the first two books in the series, and that was quite a while ago. My mother is a big fan and has read most of them.

I do remember the books being very comforting--something gentle and pleasant for the mind. Someday I'll get around to reading the rest of the series.

Sherry said...

Yes, Mitford is nice place to relax. I don't know waht to call these books. They're not deeply philosophical and profound, but there is something there, something real and encouraging.

Top  blogs