Pages

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

This week Booking Through Thursday has prompted us to participate in the following book meme. Here are my answers:

What was the last book you bought?

The Mysterious Benedict Society (for a gift to friend). See my review of The Mysterious Benedict Society and find out why you have reason to "fear" (if you are a close friend of mine) that you will find this under the Christmas tree this year.

Name a book you have read MORE than once.

Anne of Green Gables

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

Yes! Just recently in fact.

Discover Your Child's Gifts, by Don & Katie Fortune which I reviewed over at 5 Minutes for Books. Fantastic and earth shattering (for me anyway) in a basic and fundamental way.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews

All of the above.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?

Both!

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?

I'm not an English major so I go for the gripping plot.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)?

Anne (of Green Gables, of course).

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

How about I just tell you what I'm reading at this exact moment? Actually, I haven't decided. I'm in between books and haven't made up my mind what's next.

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?



The last book I read was Letters for Lizzie which I read for 5 Minutes for Books. I loved it even though it was a relatively difficult book to get through. Stay tuned for more thoughts on that.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?

I gave up on Three Cups of Tea just the other day.

Did you play? Leave a note and I'll go read your meme!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must read The Four Feathers by A.E.W. Mason, if you have not already done so! It is truly a marvelous read! :)

Literature Crazy said...

My book club was considering Three Cups of Tea for our list for next year... not good, huh?

Sarah said...

I'm not the only one who listed Anne of Green Gables as the book I've read more than once and Anne Shirley as my most loved character! :)

What didn't you like about Three Cups of Tea? It is high on my to-read list right now.

SmilingSally said...

I'm an English major who enjoys the plot! See, we're not all alike!

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=31647067&postID=4741466289120153916

Copy and paste.

I had to put someone other then Anne, just for fun.
But the Anne books shaped my life in many ways, in fact they got me started on my egyptian thing which got me started on Elizabeth Peters, that's why I listed Amelia Peabody!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, did you read Lisa's review of Three Cups of Tea at Books on the Brain. You'll feel better after reading it (not that you feel back now, but she must have felt the same way!)

Ahhhh, Anne of Green Gables. Such a classic. My friend gave me a set and I lost them in one of our many moves ... I think I count that as my greatest moving loss! Totally irreplaceable!

Sky said...

Wow, I guess feeding an infant, directing a three year old and listening to a six year old really do take a toll on me!
Here's my really truly meme post:

http://peaceloveandbooks.blogspot.com/2008/10/book-meme-for-booking-through-thursday.html

Sheesh.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Here are my posts
Jane Eyre Analysis

Book Meme

Anonymous said...

I'm reading The Mysterious Benedict Society aloud to my kids right now. We had to stop 40 pages from the end this morning because my throat was raw and we needed to get on with the business of the day. I'm not sure if this was harder on the kids or on me!

Unknown said...

You gave up on 3 Cups of Tea -- Ha, and you read everything! I'll bet you didn't make it to about 130, where he meets his wife? It does pick up from there, but honestly, you won't miss anything if you don't pick it back up.

Top  blogs