Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

This week's Booking Through Thursday has prompted us to participate in the following book meme. Here is my answer:

“Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.”

I think I'm going to have to say that my favorite literary couple is Father Tim and Cynthia from the Mitford series. I like how relaxed and easy going they are. Of course, they are older and past the age of parenting. They have only themselves and their professions to worry about. However, despite having different life focuses to some degree, they still manage to really love and support one another fairly well.

If I had to pick a second, I'd probably say Elizabeth & Darcy but no doubt about a hundred other people would say the same thing and therefore I don't want to. I like their wit and banter but we don't really get to find out how they fared after getting married. So my confidence level for them isn't as high as Father Tim and Cynthia.

Yup. I think those are the two I'll go with.

****

P.S. Heh. Heh. (Guilty look.) I just saw that someone else listed Anne and Gilbert and now I feel TOTALLY ashamed. They would actually be my first pick. Followed by Father Tim & Cynthia and THEN Elizabeth & Darcy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah... Good pick! I might have added Barnabas, too, and called them a trio :)

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I haven't read any of your books either! :) Haha, I know...yes I have never read Austen! I must be crazy.

Happy BTT!!!

SmilingSally said...

lol re=kristen's answer of Barnabas making it a trio lol.

I didn't think of Father Tim and Cynthia, but they make a terrific couple.

Lisa Spence said...

Oh, I love Father Tim and Cynthia! I may just have to pick up the Mitford books for (not the first) re-read!

Anonymous said...

I love Cynthia and Father Tim, too, thought they didn't immediately come to mind. Good picks!

Sky said...

I also love Father Tim and Cynthia, in fact I am re-re-re reading At Home in Mitford whenever I am feeding Ziva. Which is alot.
Of Course Anne and Gilbert are a favorite as well!
My favorite literary couple:


Would have to be the ever very proper Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey and the undaunted Sergeant Mervyn Bunter. Their jolly repartee just makes me smile.
(It did not say married couple now did it?)
{Insert my evil laugh}

As to my favorite literary married couple, I have to fall back on my obviously favorite series and put forth Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband Radcliffe Emerson, both well known in the Egyptology circle. They are such best friends and comrades. It's one of the reasons I love the series!

B said...

I totally misread the initial question and thought of the Brownings. *Sigh* And my weirdness continues...

Top  blogs